Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 25, 2011

Paper Bag

For this brief we had to make a bag out of triplex paper. This paper is difficult to work with, as it breaks apart if you fold it, therefore you have to score each 'fold'. The bag has to open and close and you must be able to carry it, with the use of a sling. Therefore I decided to go the safe route and layer my bag, not as safe as I thought. This was very time consuming to layer the bag, as the height I wanted took ages to achieve. Here is a video of how the bag was constructed:


The biggest challenge of the bag was making the section where it had to open and close, 'the flap'. Because I had layered it, there was no way for me to combine the flap with the actual bag. I decided to  make another layer of the bag but not making it hollow this time. This would be the flap. How I placed it on the bag was by making folds, almost like hinges, that would connect the flap to the bag.
I used a template to layer my bag continuously, until it reached the wanted height. Half way through making the bag, I had lost the template, which was drawn by hand. As it was a oval, I could not get the exact template again. Not a fun part of the process. I did however manage to make another template by tracing the bag, this was a success :)

Throughout the project I began to form man muscles in my arms, cutting straight through the triplex paper with a craft knife was not easy. It took me three times to cut over the surface until I got through. I had gotten 8 layers out of each A3 piece of triplex paper. I used 9 or 10 pieces of triplex paper for the layers alone. Therefore I must of made around 75 layers. Not as fun and definitely not the easy way out as I had thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment